Startup Help

I,Me and Myself 14:48 02 May 06

On starting up my parents PC it loads the desktop (without any icons - wallpaper only) and the following comes onto the screen:

Windows Nwtworking

Unable to load the dynamic link library.

The system cannot find the file specified.

Some or all of the following feature is not available

Microsoft Network

Why is this coming on, does it matter and can it be removed/rectified?

anchor 14:55 02 May 06

This should explain the problem:

click here

• Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
• Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
• Microsoft Windows 95

I,Me and Myself 22:42 05 May 06

Thanks for the help but we don't know what to do. Any more help in simple terms for a novice????

woodchip 22:56 05 May 06

Download this File click here

Put it on a Floppy disc by dragging it onto the Floppy disc in Windows Explorer.
next Start with a Boot Rescue Floppy disc, so it boots to A:\ change the floppy disc for the one with the above file on it. Then type at A:
Copy A:\*.* C:\Windows\System then press enter it will copy the file to the correct location then remove floppy and restart computer.

NOTE there is a Space in the text before

I,Me and Myself 23:03 05 May 06

What is a boot floppy disc? How do you boot upa PC with a floppy disc?

woodchip 23:12 05 May 06

Boot disc can be downloaded from click here If it's a Win98se Comp then download the tenth file from the top. to a location on your Hard Drive make a note of where you put it, Now put a blank floppy disc in the computer and double click on the file you downloaded.
This creates the Boot Floppy disc, Start the Computer with the Disc it should got to A:\> if you give it time to load, do not press anything until it gets to A:\> the swap the floppy for the one with the file above and follow the instructions to copy it to the Hard Drive

I,Me and Myself 15:39 11 May 06

When you say "Start the Computer with the Disc it should got to A:\> if you give it time to load, do not press anything until it gets to A:\>" does that mean put a blank floppy disc in BEFORE the PC is switched on?

Is there any damage at all that can be done to the PC if this does not work?

Reason I am asking is that we do not have the product key for our Win 98 disc and so would have bother trying to reinstall it?

Don't mind trying anything is it isn't going to knacker anything up in the process.

Taff™ 16:55 11 May 06
  woodchip 21:17 11 May 06

When Win98 is on the Computer loading it over it's self should not ask for the key

I,Me and Myself 09:12 13 May 06

Cannot say what I've already said about my double thread as I will once again be accused of a 'double thread'.

So I did a double thread - is it going to cause the end of the world?

Taff™ 09:24 13 May 06

Certainly not! See my post on the other one. Have you now got your Windows key by running Belarc Advisor?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…