Startup Freeze

BigMan24 18:56 07 Nov 04

Hey folks,

I think i might have a bit of a problem here - just a little one, although i am a little concerned about it.

When I switch on my computer, and it comes to loading up my desktop, the only thing that comes up is my backgroup - no icons or toolbar, or start menu. And no buttons work at all, not even ctrl alt del works. I have to switch it off (which i really dont like doing).

This has happened a couple of times, but it seems fine otherwise.

Does anyone know what could be causing this, or/and what I could do to stop this from happening?

Any input/suggestion would be very much appreciated!

Thankyou!

sortof 19:00 07 Nov 04

How long problem for? What OS? Try system restore...check for viruses....check for spyware. Use Adaware or Spybot and keep those uptodate and scan regularly with them.

sortof 19:02 07 Nov 04

Also check msconfig for startup items and disable them one at a time to see if you can find culprit...

tony654321 19:24 07 Nov 04

I had a problem with freezing on startup for a long time. Even when my system was clean of all spyware, viruses etc. How old is your hard drive? I recently replaced mine which seems to have cured the problem. Just a thought though. Your hard drive might be fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…