Startup error - Executing WGAlogon......

Alien Life Form 23:06 19 Dec 06

Can any one help.
When I load up my PC I get the following error just before the logon screen:

Executing Window/system32/wgalogon.dll

The error also appears under my screen name as I'm logging in.
This error appeared after I used a system optomizing tool. I tried system restore but got message "your system cannot be restored..." (which I have been getting for quite a while)
Please help!!!

xania 09:33 20 Dec 06

It looks as if this may be spyware from that notorius pirate Bill Gates. Here's a couple of bits of interesting reading for you:

click here
click here
click here
click here
click here
click here

and so on.

Alien Life Form 11:22 20 Dec 06

Thankyou so much for you help, I really appreciate it.

Is removing WGAlogon aimed at people who do not have a genuine copy of Windows? I do have a genuine Windows, so If I do remove does that mean I won't be able to use Windows update, because I won't be able to verify that my Windows is genuine?
Is WGA used just to validate yor copy of Windows?

In Add/Remove programs, there is no Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications, although I have WGAlogon entries in System32 folder. Could it not be installed correctly?

When I first load up my PC a black screen comes up (boot screen?) asking if I want to log on to Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows XP (TuneUp backup). From here I can press F8 to access other options. If I do nothing it disappears after a few seconds without me having to make a selection.
I have just installed Tune Up Utilities on my PC, so I'm assuming that has something to do with this? Do you know what the TuneUp backup is? Is this problem related?

Thankyou so much

rawprawn 11:54 20 Dec 06

You can ignore the "TuneUp backup" notice, if you hit that it will simply do a system restore to the last restore point (Look in Tune up rescue centre)I do not believe this problem is Tune up relaed. You can undo any changes TU has made in the rescue centre.
I'm afraid the only advice I can offer at the mome4nt is to try a system file scan, go to Start/Run/type sfc /scannow (Watch the space between sfc and /) hit enter. You will need your XP CD. at least this will tell us if all the system files are Ok.
Let us know the result.

Alien Life Form 12:04 20 Dec 06

I don't have an XP CD, I have been looking for it for the past few weeks. When I bought the computer XP was already installed. I have a Recovery CD, Is that the same thing?

I am running the file checker now, will it ask for CD?

rawprawn 12:27 20 Dec 06

It depends on how it is set up, but the recovery cd should do it. If it asks for the CD put the recovery cd in and hit OK.

Alien Life Form 12:35 20 Dec 06

Are you sure It will not do a System Recovery where I will lose all my installed software etc?

rawprawn 12:43 20 Dec 06

Yes I am sure, but you should get a little box on the screen saying it is checking the files (Not installing or anything else)

rawprawn 12:44 20 Dec 06

Did it ask for the CD??
I shall be away for about 30/40 mins.

Alien Life Form 12:47 20 Dec 06

Yes it did. Is it safe?

I have just found a microsoft web page where I can download the latest WGA notification tool. Do you think I should do this because I do not have one listed in Add/Remove programs, even though I have WGA entries in System32

smellideadskin 12:59 20 Dec 06

I too had XP already insatlled on the Pc when I purchashed it, and I had loads of problems with it - in the end I bought XP on CD's, after a rather nasty hack/virus.
I had down loaded Windows XP onto CD's, freeing up space on my Hard drive, but, when I needed them they were useless, they wouldn't install, or do anything it should have done. After lots of enquiries with various PC technical people, all to no avail, i got another copy - con-trick or what?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…