StartUp configuration?

osben 10:31 07 Mar 03

Hi

Looking at the tasks running by pressing ctr-alt-del I notice that amongs others there are two files, one called CTFMON the other DEVLD16

I have gone into config and looked at Startup and de-ticked them both but as soon as I reboot they are there again.

Can anyone tell me just exactly what they do and can I do without them in my Startup. If so how do I do this as de-ticking them does not seem to get rid of them.

Operating system is Windows ME (sadly)

MartinT-B 10:46 07 Mar 03

WinTasks Process Library
ctfmon - ctfmon.exe - Process Information
Process File: ctfmon or ctfmon.exe
Process Name: Alternative User Input Services
Description: Handles Alternative User Input Text Processor (TIP) and the Microsoft Office Language Bar. Ctfmon.exe provides text input support for speech recognition, handwriting recognition, keyboard, translation, and other alternative user input technologies

You need that to make your keyboard work!!!!

Don't know what DEVLD16 is

vinnyT 10:48 07 Mar 03

This was taken from click here
When you run a Microsoft Office XP program, the file Ctfmon.exe (Ctfmon) runs in the background, even after you quit all Office programs.

What Is the Ctfmon.exe (Ctfmon.exe) File?

Ctfmon.exe activates the Alternative User Input Text Input Processor (TIP) and the Microsoft Office Language Bar.

What Does the Ctfmon.exe File Do?

Ctfmon.exe monitors the active windows and provides text input service support for speech recognition, handwriting recognition, keyboard, translation, and other alternative user input technologies.

Can I Remove the Ctfmon.exe File?

Removing the Ctfmon.exe might cause problematic behavior in your Office XP programs, so removing it is not recommended. To prevent Ctfmon.exe from running, follow these steps.

The 2nd searched in google (didn't come up with anything for DEVLD16,but suggested devldr16 instead, maybe you misspelled it) came up with multiple possibilities, including, creative and mcafee files. Hope this helps.

JoeC 10:53 07 Mar 03

and if you do / do not need them.

click here

colberly 10:54 07 Mar 03

Have a look here it might give a good idea as to what is or is not needed at start up.
click here

colberly 10:56 07 Mar 03

Looks like we posted at the same time JoeC.

osben 10:57 07 Mar 03

Question answered
It's been bugging me for along time.

Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…