start+shutdown problem

pablo126 21:44 30 Dec 09

I was having problems shutting down my pc so i switched off at the mains. When I went to start it next day, soon as I switched on at the wall plug the pc fired up without touching the start button.The cpu fan ran but nothing on the monitor. I removed the start switch connector and shorted out the terminalls thinking this would shut it down but it had no effect. Where is the actual switch ? is it on the mobo or is it in the psu ?I,ve never seen this fault mentioned before !

Technotiger 21:53 30 Dec 09

There is normally an on/off switch on the back of the case. But in an emergency, as in the case of a Freeze-up you should either press the re-start button on the front of case, or switch off by holding down the start button on the front of the case for 4 seconds. You should never just switch off at the mains.

woodchip 22:14 30 Dec 09

If it will not shut down, do not turn Power Off,

Press and hold the Start Button till it turns off. there is less likely to be damage done to Hard Drive

pablo126 20:30 31 Dec 09

Thank you Technotiger and woodchip. I connected it up today and again as soon as the power lead was connected the psu fan and cpu fan started, but nothing at all on the monitor.I held down the start button for about 6 seconds but this had no effect. Then I removed the switch lead and shorted the start terminalls directly , still no effect.I think I should try another psu and see if that will do the trick. Thanks again. Stan

woodchip 22:15 31 Dec 09

The Motherboard as Blown. I had one go just the same way. You could try a new PSU, but I think its most likely the Motherboard

pablo126 09:20 01 Jan 10

Thanks Woodchip. I will try a new psu today and will let you know the result. Yes a blown mobo is a possibility. Stan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…