startpage.19.J infected my PC (Revisited)

Tycho 19:51 27 May 05

I am trying to sort ot a sadly neglected laptop for a colleague and am having little success.

OS XP SP1 I believe.

I have installed spybot and removed heaps of stuff with that.
AVG and removed several
Adware Away and removed 8 more.

But the perishing thing in the tile will not go.
I thought that I would install Zonealarm but it warns that I should get rid of all spyware first so I have delayed that.

One thing that I have not yet done is updated the OS. (The icon in the task bar says that I should.

Any further ideas would be appreciated.

T

g0slp 20:28 27 May 05

This site

click here

leads here

click here

From what I've read, this one's a baddie...

Perhaps someone more savvy with this crud can help further. Good luck; I don't want to experience this one.

Totally-braindead 20:58 27 May 05

If there is nothing on the PC that the owner is desperate to keep, and you have a full windows disk the easiest thing may be to format the hard drive and reinstall windows from scratch.

Tycho 22:35 27 May 05

She has handed to me a system recovery disc and a sytem software disc.

Am I right in thinking that those two CDs will not be enough to reinstate the machine after a complete reformat?

T

Nellie2 22:37 27 May 05

No need to reformat.. please have a look at this site, and post a hijackthis log in the Malware Removal forum, you will recieve expert advice on how to clean up your computer in no time.

click here

Tycho 19:22 29 May 05

Thanks so much for tthat advice, Nellie2. They are working hard at it and having, at present, partial success.

The Startpage visrus is now cured but there is a residual Downloader trojan which is proving somewhat intractable. They are working on it.

T

Nellie2 21:42 29 May 05

heh heh... don't you just love a challenge! :-)

Tycho 22:17 29 May 05

I do but I feel that I am rather a pasive partner in this!

T

Tycho 10:00 09 Jun 05

I am delighted to report that the computer is now clean and fully kitted out with AVG, Spywareblaster, Spybot, Ad-Aware and a fully upgraded OS with SP2 and all the latest upgrades.

Success!

T

Nellie2 22:37 09 Jun 05

Well that is good news, well done :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…