startpage.19.J infected my PC

MikejgL 20:17 18 Apr 05

I'm sure I'm not the only one! Can anyone help me get rid of it?

VoG II 20:21 18 Apr 05

Try a² click here

Tycho 23:41 26 May 05

AVG detects it but cannot, as far as I can tell, get rid of it.

T

Tycho 23:41 26 May 05

AVG detects it but cannot, as far as I can tell, get rid of it.

T

johnnyrocker 23:47 26 May 05

what os , what anti spyware etc on board?

johnny.

Tycho 00:06 27 May 05

I am not at all sure that I should be hijacking this thread but it seems to have been dormant for a while.

I am trying to sort out a colleagues laptop running XP Home SP1. Her Norton AV was monthes out of date so I uninstalled it and installed AVG. AVG did not detect it on the first run but I then upgraded with all the latest bits and it found two trojans: Downloader and Startpage 19.J.

I use AVG to delete Downloader and that seems to have gone. I have deleted dozens of copies of Startpage and it immediately comes back again. It is not reinfecting from the internet because I have been through the routine a few times while disconnected.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

T

Tycho 00:07 27 May 05

I have not yet tried A squared. Do I need to get rid of AVG before I instal Asquared?

T

VoG II 07:40 27 May 05

No.

g0slp 07:46 27 May 05

Did you disable System Restore before deleting Startpage? I'm not familiar with this particular trojan, but from threads on similar problems that seems to be a necessary action.

(Obviously don't forget to reactivate afterwards!).

Hope this helps.

Tycho 07:47 27 May 05

Thanks, VoG.

That is the best sort of answer. even I as a slow reader don't take long to absorb the import of that!

T

Tycho 09:09 27 May 05

No I didn't. I use W2K normally and don't know how to disable system restore. I imagine that it's easy to fnd out from the help, though.

I have a go in a few minutes.

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…