Starting a small home network - Please help

alexgray104 18:15 09 Jun 05

I am a novice in creating networks and wish to build a very small one(one pc and one laptop) in my home. Both have XP Home and at least 256mb of RAM. The laptop is wirelessly enabled. I have a dear option and a cheap option. Please tell me if any one of them is wrong or at fault. Thanks.
Dear Option:
1.Buy Wireless router and plug into and set up on Desktop.
2.Press wireless button on laptop and it detects the router and establishes a connection
3.I am able to share broadband connection with the laptop and desktop able to go on different things at different times. Am also able to share files and printer.
Cheap Option:
1.Buy 802.11g USB 2 network adaptor plug into desktop pc and set up.
2.Press wireless button on laptop and it detects the adaptor and establishes a connection
3.I am able to share broadband connection with the laptop and desktop able to go on different things at different times. Am also able to share files and printer.
Thank you very much for your help :-)

De Marcus 20:57 09 Jun 05

The cheap option: you won't be able to use the net, share files or printers whilst the desktop is switched off

Gaz 25 23:51 10 Jun 05

I have the expensive option, and it works great.

Up to you, do you require to work on all PC's at the same time?

geoff47 23:46 12 Jun 05

My daughter has just got a wireless enabled laptop,and wants me to set up a web connection in her bedroom....which of the two previous would best suit me.
9 times out of the 10 the PCs will be in use at the same time.
Dont think we will ever need printers and other use out of the connection,just Internet.
I am using Win98 she has XP
Thanks for any suggestions
Geoff47

oberon 18:32 13 Jun 05

I have just purchased an ADSL router from E-buyer. Took 20 minutes to set up, now have full broadband connectivity in the house. The router was only £49.99, its the safecom 108Mb, first one that comes up on their web site under wireless routers. Easy to set up and use.

Gaz 25 23:24 16 Jun 05

Get an ADSL modem router, and set-up a wireless connection to her laptop and you use the Wired connection to your win98 PC. Set WPA up, which W98 doesn't support over wireless so only the XP client will work over wireless - but you'll be wired in anyway.

Go with the above suggestion at £49.99 if you wish.

Exile69 10:39 17 Jun 05

I am interested in wirelessly connecting my PC and Laptop so that they can share the internet, printer etc.
My ISP provider is NTL broadband and I connect via an Ethernet connection to their digital set-top box. I have purchased a 'Wireless-B' PCI adapter and 'Wireless-G' ADSL gateway, but now think that I may have purchased the wrong equipment.
I would like to be able to use the internet on the laptop without the pc always on, but my internet connection from my set-top box is Ethernet not ADSL. Is there a possible work-around or do I need to change my Linksys equipment.
Thanks in advance for any help
Carl

Gaz 25 16:46 17 Jun 05

Yep, but.. you could just plug the ethernet into the router. About sharing it, you could get a cheap ethernet router... that would work.

I'm sure you could set-up the ADSL router to do the same, because I have, via one on my internal routers. I have 4, one is a ADSL, and rest are ethernet connected to the ADSL.

All you'd need is DNS so that yuo can fire internet via the ethernet port.

:-D

Gaz 25 17:00 17 Jun 05

any of you people setting up wireless networks. Please, please do secure them. It's very important. WPA is your best bet, if you have XP.

And, use a 63 char passphrase, and copy and paste this via text file on floppy to new clients in the wireless connection settings.

This should consist of chars. like this:

$s8tf56&**(1d3a!"45

Etc, but make it 63 chars long.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…