Starting in safe mode

Rhuddlan 09:45 30 Apr 03

It's been a long time since I started the computer in safe mode and I seem to have forgotton how to do this, I looked in the help and support centre and it told me o keep pressing F8 at startup, but when I did this the boot devices appeared on screen, my floppy disk drive, my two hard disks and the CD ROM drive, so how do I do this, I have icons on my desktop which I want to get rid of and won't delete if I right click on them, a message appears saying that the file is right protected or in use by another program and cannot be deleted, but no other programs are running, I have checked in task manager, can anyone please help, thanks.

emperor 10:05 30 Apr 03

In Windows 95 it's F5. Don't know about other systems

expertec 10:09 30 Apr 03

What OS are you using? If you've got 95 0r 98 you should be able to boot into DOS and delete them.

Rhuddlan 10:10 30 Apr 03

I am running XP Home edition, I have done it plenty of times before at startup, I'm sure it was F8.

Hammyski 12:46 30 Apr 03

click here. I hope this helps

woodchip 13:18 30 Apr 03

Try the Ctrl key

Mango Grummit 14:53 30 Apr 03

On two of my machines I can get into safe mode by pressing F8 or F5 and.... erm ... something else but can't think of it just now. But pressing the right button at the right time needs to be exact. On one machine I can NEVER get it right lol.

I don't have XP any longer so I can't check this but on Win ME you can get into safe mode by doing the following. Maybe something similar with XP? Just a thought, may help -- may not :o)

1. Close all open programs.

2. Click Start, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.

3. Type msconfig and then click OK.

4. The System Configuration Utility, appears. Click "Advanced."

5. The Advanced Troubleshooting Settings dialog box appears. Check Enable Startup Menu and then click OK. Click OK again when the System Configuration Utility reappears.

6. You will be prompted to restart the computer. Click Yes. The computer will restart in Safe mode. (This can take several minutes.)

NOTE: When you are finished with all troubleshooting (in Safe mode) repeat these steps, but in step 5, uncheck "Enable Start-up Menu."

regards, M

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…