Starting in safe mode

peg leg 19:08 20 Apr 05

Hi everyone,
I don't wish to appear stupid but my 60 year old brain is finding it hard to grasp certain things about the modern PC.
How do I start the pc in safe mode?

Another piece of magic I'm not to sure about is re-installing Windows XP when some files are corrupt(I think),I have a disc that say's "product recovery CD-ROM for Windows XP home edition,will this return the computer to the original settings?

Quite honestly after joining this forum when I bought my new PC a couple of months ago and reading all the posts regarding system crashes and other nightmares that can happen I'm scared to do anything in case something goes wrong!
PS. I can't use system restore as it is not working and all I get is "your computer cannot be restored".

Any advice would be much appreciated.

User-312386 19:16 20 Apr 05

F8 for safe mode

To repair an XP installation go to start>run and type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and /)

sinbad1 19:20 20 Apr 05

see if your restore system is enabled.

right click on my computer select properties,system restore, make sure turn off system restore is unticked.

restore points should then be created should you need them.

hope this helps

woodchip 19:22 20 Apr 05

Or F5 should take you in to safe mode

speccykid 20:33 20 Apr 05

the recovery cd does just what it says on the box.you do have to reinstall all your printer/adsl modem drivers,software,utilities,games,etc.(it,s like having the pc returned to normal.)i,m mid 50s and in the same sort of position as you and have used restore cd many times after virus/trojan takeovers etc etc etc.this site is a godsend to us oldy and non techies.so good on you very helpful people who answer these questions.i,d suggest peg leg that 1/2 hour a day on this site would send your computer ability up and up and up.(mine is slowly and surely).good luck.

VoG II 20:35 20 Apr 05
  peg leg 21:30 20 Apr 05

Thank you for all your replies and your advice has been noted,especially you,speccykid,nice to know there are more seniors out there!

thanks again

premier man 17:14 28 Jun 05

Can anybody please help,my daughter has been unable to get PC started,it swiches on gets to windows XP, then imediatly switches off to blue and then black screen,she has been told it is a virus,could this be right,if so how can she get rid of it,as she is unable to get PC running enough to run spybot,any suggestions please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…