Starting up with new HDD

Sparky3327 15:52 01 Jul 03

I've recently added a new HDD, twice the size of my original. It all went swimmingly until I've tried to make my PC boot-up from the new disk.
I copied everything from my old disk to the new one, including the O/S (or so I think) so I could then format the smaller one to be used purely for storage.
I've altered the jumpers as directed on the new HDD and changed the BIOS to show the big drive as the master, but it won't accept it and won't start up unless the old drive is the master.
Where am I going wrong?
Both drives are Maxtors but the old one is set up as FAT32 and the new one as NTFS, could that have a bearing on things?
Cheers,
Grezza.

Squall 15:54 01 Jul 03

How did you copy over the OS to the new disk?

Sparky3327 16:05 01 Jul 03

I used xxcopy, assuming that it would copy everything including the O/S.
Am I wrong?
Grezza

pj123 16:10 01 Jul 03

did you use fdisk and set the partition and then format the new hard disk before you copied it?

Sparky3327 16:20 01 Jul 03

I didn't partition but formatted and, yes, I used F drive

Squall 16:22 01 Jul 03

Don't know much about xxcopy - but if you ran it on your machine while windows was running I doubt that it could copy all the system files that you need to get your system up and running.

Sparky3327 16:23 01 Jul 03

Ahh, good thinking; if I start from scratch, how would you recommend I do it?

Squall 16:24 01 Jul 03

windows from scratch on your new disk, set the old disk as a slave and copy the data from it when you are in windows.

You didn't say which OS - so I am assuming windows???

Sparky3327 16:26 01 Jul 03

Windows XP, I'll give it a whirl!

tamc98 17:23 01 Jul 03

I'm sure you've already done this but did you swop the ide cable over aswell as setting the jumper. IDE cables have a master and slave connector, with the one at the end being master and the middle one slave.
HTH, Tony

Sparky3327 19:02 01 Jul 03

Yep, swapped the IDE cable and jumpers to required places.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…