Starting up my laptop

bristolgirl 11:20 21 Jan 07

Hi
When I start up my laptop for the 1st time in the day, it all loads up great! But then when I try to open a browser (either FireFox or IE) then it just seems to hang (I hope that is the correct term).
If I Ctrl-Alt-Del, it doesn't show that anything is running. I then try restarting the Laptop and it goes through a very long task of showing the "end task" windows.
I eventually ariive at the "shutting down" screen but then nothing and the only way I can resolve the problem is by hitting the on/off button and the re-booting.
At this stage, everything loads and I can use my browsers.
I have downloaded System Mechanic Professional 7 to fix any registery keys that may have been corrupted but this still hasn't fixed the problem.
Hope you kind people can help again!

Diodorus Siculus 13:30 21 Jan 07

Do you have an XP CD?

Try the system file checker:

click here
scannow sfc - how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker)

bristolgirl 14:54 21 Jan 07

I don't have an XP CD. Do you think that it's safe to still run scannow sfc?

dms05 15:20 21 Jan 07

Diodorus Siculus recommends the XP CD because it may be needed to locate some drivers etc. I run scannow sfc without an XP CD and it works OK as they are all on my HDD as installed at the factory. Just try it by going Start>Run>scannow sfc. It takes ages to scan and then disappears without trace when it's ended!

bristolgirl 16:07 21 Jan 07

Thank you both. I have now run scannow and you are right, it has disappeared without trace when finished. I guess that it has done its task but I won't know if it has worked until I restart my laptop. Keeping my fingers crossed.

bristolgirl 11:55 22 Jan 07

Thank you. That has cured the problem. Everything is now ok for the time being

bristolgirl 12:00 23 Jan 07

Seems to be ths story of my life! The problem came back today. I don't know if it is of any significance but I have lost the FireFox icon from my desktop.
Any other ideas?
Many thanks!!

bristolgirl 20:15 24 Jan 07

I'm not having a lot of luck at the moment and this problem just will not go away.

Any more ideas?

I really appreciate all your help!!

Diodorus Siculus 21:38 24 Jan 07

Try a new thread and refer to this one in it by copy and pasting the address - as this is ticked resolved, fewer people will contribute.

bristolgirl 10:29 25 Jan 07

Thanks for the advice Diodorus Siculus.

Hope I've done it right.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5