Starting up computor

norwich 10:22 24 Dec 05

Could someone please help i have NTL broadband but my computor seem to take a week and a day to load up. Once it has loaded it works okay. Could someone please help.

Norwich

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:27 24 Dec 05

click here
and check out the Tips 79 -94

PaulB2005 10:28 24 Dec 05

Ok. What make and model is the PC? How old is it? Is this a sudden problem or has it got worse with time?

The fact you have broadband won't affect the spee of the PC by the way...

PaulB2005 10:28 24 Dec 05

How long does it ACTUALLY take to boot up?

norwich 11:29 24 Dec 05

PaulB2005
I have a Packard bell imedia and its 4 years old and it takes about 10 min to load.

norwich

Methedrine 13:16 24 Dec 05

How much RAM is in the computer?

PaulB2005 13:26 24 Dec 05

Do you have anti virus and anti spyware software installed?

palinka 15:26 24 Dec 05

Has it always taken a long time, or is this sudden? If it's sudden, can you remember anything you did immediately before it started to be so slow? eg have you installed anything that might be memory-hungry.

woodchip 15:42 24 Dec 05

Many things slow your computer over time. It's like a car if you do not maintain it, it will slow down. It get's clogged with files with all the Installs and uninstalls Temp Files Cookies You name it it's there. Loading every new program drains Resources. And add's to Start up, If you run Win98se or WinME or XP got to start\run type MSCONFIG\Startup tab remove as many tick as you can but leave things like AV Firewall with a tick. You can restore these after if you find you need them by just ticking the box.

Add to the above Scan the Disc for problems and Defrag it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…