starting all programs problem

Peter C 19:10 21 Aug 05

packard bell imedia (2yrs old)
intel p4 2.53ghz
520 ram
windows xp

i have a real annoying problem. every program i always use on the comp has this same problem which is

it loads ok. but you can't open any files, save any files, and plugins dont work (in fruitloops and photoshop for example).

the way to solve it is to close the program then open the program again and it works normally. but if you close it then open it again, you must do it all again.

photoshop, fruityloops, aol, word, everything has this problem.

and now a simple game 'theme park world' just will not install.

any ideas much appreciated thanks! 8-)

miniman79 19:12 21 Aug 05

Hi Pete.

I would do these in this order:

Check for virus' and spyware.
Try a defrag
At the run command type sfc /scannow
this last piece of advice checks critical system files and repairs if necessary.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Peter C 19:30 21 Aug 05

hi thanks for replying.

i did a scan with adaware just before posting this and it came up with 25 that have been deleted, but the problem hasn't stopped.

when i run 'slf / scannow' a command prompt window flashes up then straight back off.

when i run 'slf' i get the same thing.

when i run 'scannow' it says "windows cannot find scannow"

am i doing something wrong or is my comp just dead?

Peter C 19:31 21 Aug 05

p.s. i think the fan might be on its way out. could that be anything to do with this problem and the poor perfomance most of the time?

BRYNIT 19:44 21 Aug 05

I think it should be sfc /scannow

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…