starting adsl connection on boot up

The GnoMe 14:06 05 Oct 03

Hi all how can i achieve the above? i would like my adsl conection to start when i start the computer to save clicking on dial(even though it doesnt dial up so to speak)

any ideas?

Forum Editor 14:20 05 Oct 03

You will probably have downloaded some configuration software from your ISP - or some will have come with your connection pack. Some of these (notably the BT/Alcatel connector) automatically makes the connection on startup, but if that doesn't happen you could always find the .exe file for your connection and put it in the startup folder.

graham√ 14:26 05 Oct 03

That may not work. It takes a few seconds for the ADSL to sync up, so the first attempt may time out and fail. Then you'd still need to click on something. Let us know if you succeed, please.

The GnoMe 14:30 05 Oct 03

i cannot find any hint of an exe file in the program files of my adsl pci modem supplied by force9 (plusnet).

i did a search for .exe files in the said program folder but i clicked on all of them and they did not start a connection for me

AubreyS 15:00 05 Oct 03

What about... Tools (in internet explorer) Internet options > Connections > and then make sure Make sure Dial Whenever A Network Connection Is Not Present Is Checked.

The GnoMe 18:35 05 Oct 03

i use opera 7.20 can anyone else think of how to do it

powerless 18:40 05 Oct 03

The icon that you click to make a connection, stick that in the startup folder.

C:\Documents and Settings\your name\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Can only try.

"That may not work. It takes a few seconds for the ADSL to sync up, so the first attempt may time out and fail. Then you'd still need to click on something. Let us know if you succeed, please."

Sometimes that can happen but mostly it connects first time.

I've used this way for ages.

AubreyS 18:41 05 Oct 03

In that case, have you tried putting the link into your hotlist? Do you have IE and if so, does it work ok from there?

AubreyS 18:42 05 Oct 03

Ignore that last comment, it was meant for someone else.

The GnoMe 19:00 05 Oct 03

i have put the file into the start up folder but it still requires you to click dial

i think ill leave it if there is no other way to do it.

thanks for your help anyway

powerless 19:03 05 Oct 03

Does pipex have a folder in Program Files?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced