starting up

figgyjig 16:14 29 Mar 08

I have just received my laptop and a norton 360 disc. The instructions with the disc say that my laptop should be connected to the internet before I install it. Will I be vulnerable to a virus before it is installed, or will my laptop have its own firewall. Furthermore, will I have to switch my laptop's security off before installing my norton 360 disc, or will the screen prompts tell me all I need to know? Needleess to say I've been too afraid to switch my laptop on. Compared to the other biginners in this forum, I'm a primeordial piece of slime.

johndrew 16:58 29 Mar 08

" ..... primeordial piece of slime." No such thing, we all had to start somewhere and all ask questions sometime.

I would ask if you really want Norton on your laptop? It seems to cause all sorts of bother and there are plenty of good anti-malware programs that are free.

To start with the Windows firewall (should have been installed with Windows) will do the job, but you may want to change later.

For anti-virus you could download AVG Free click here and install it. You would be OK to go online and update it immediately.

For anti-spyware you could use AVG Anti-Spyware click here
or Spybot S&D click here or Spyware Terminator click here or A-Aware Free click here (or all of them) which again you should update as a priority job.

You could download all the above on the PC you are using, copy to CD and install them on your new laptop before going online.

Think about it, but if you do decide on Norton you should be OK to follow the instructions given.

figgyjig 19:44 29 Mar 08

Thanks. I think i'll stick with norton 360 until I get on my feet. By the way, I was at an internet cafe when I wrote the previous message and the screen froze. This seems to happen a lot lately, which is one of the reasons I decided to buy a laptop. Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…