starter in LAN connections

eric_bloodaxe 19:04 06 Jul 09

I have just connected my 2 computers to a switch and tried to enable resource sharing. I have managed internet sharing by using my aol dialbb connection with ics enabled on comp1. This is over a bt voyager 105 usb modem. I cannot get access to each comuter from the other via the LAN connection tho' It is physically existent as proved by the internet connection but no data seems willing to pass. I have noticed that COMP2 is showing connection specific dns suffix as mshome.net and a dns servers IP which is the IP of comp1. comp1 is running xP pro so can't be a dns server.every thing else seems to match up so is this the issue and if so how do i stop it?

mgmcc 20:57 06 Jul 09

If you have enabled ICS on the USB Modem connection in Computer1, Windows will have given its "Local Area Connection" the IP address 192.168.0.1 with Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 - there will be no Default Gateway or DNS Server address on this connection.

The "Local Area Connection" in Computer2 should be set to get its IP and DNS server addresses automatically, which it does by DHCP from Computer1. When ICS is enabled in a "Host" PC, it *DOES* act as a DHCP server to allocate the addresses to "Client" PCs.

Client PCs will get an IP address in the range 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254 with Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, the Default Gateway and DNS Server addresses will be 192.168.0.1 (the IP address of the "Host" PC).

Although Windows XP does support multiple Workgroups, file sharing will be simpler if you use the same Workgroup name in all computers. Set any folders that you want to have available over the network as "Shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option. Configure any firewall software to allow access to the networked computers, which may involve adding their IP addresses in a "trusted" section.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant