Start Up Woes

uskfisherman 11:34 16 Jul 05

All my start up entries in ms config have disappeared. What do I do please? I run XP Home and do not have system restore enabled.

Terry Brown 12:19 16 Jul 05

Does your computer start OK.?--Why did you go into msconfig ?.--What problems (if any) are you getting.?.--The solution is boot up keep pressing F8 (or F5) and select 'Last good configeration' or set your PC to boot from CD (bios) and re-load the XP using the same folder as original.
Terry

Jackcoms 12:29 16 Jul 05

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and so is System Restore.

Assuming you are able to restore your msconfig entries, please also enable System Restore. ;-))

uskfisherman 12:32 16 Jul 05

Thank you Terry. My PC starts up OK but none of my programmes appear in my task bar. I looked at start up msconfig, and thats when I found all my start up programmes had gone. I tried last known config, but that did not work mainly because the thing does start up I think. I follow what you say about starting with the XP CD but wont that return my PC to its original settings?

uskfisherman 12:36 16 Jul 05

I should mention that I have Acronis to go back to a previous date but I only want to use this as a last resort. That is why I did not enable System Restore which over the years has given me nothing but trouble.

john-232317 13:55 16 Jul 05

Just a thought, in ms config, general tab, is load startup items ticked ?

uskfisherman 21:23 16 Jul 05

Thanks for all your help. I have taken the cowards way out and run Acronis True Image which took all my settings back 5 weeks. In ms config I run selective start up and appparently load start up is non operative. As far as I can see this would apply to a general start up of drivers etc etc. I should not be meddling here because I aint very sure what it is all about!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…