Start up Windows 98 Restore

Riccall One 08:57 16 Jan 06

Could someone remind me how to restore Windows 98 to a known good start up. Something has gone astray with my start up and I want to restore it to the original. It still starts up but is very slow and the desktop comes on individualy instead of all together as in the past.

Diemmess 09:30 16 Jan 06

Don't bank on it but try
1)Press F8 repeatedly before Windows starts to load
2) at the menu select Command Prompt only
3)At the C:> prompt type" scanreg /restore "
Exactly like that without the ("), but make sure of a space after scanreg.
4)Select a date before the trouble started and see what happens

Riccall One 09:52 16 Jan 06

Thanks Diemmess that is what I was looking for I could not remember the command prompt. Many thanks for you help

Batch 13:20 16 Jan 06

The ultimate solution is to re-format and reinstall from scratch.

I've done this on a few old machines (e.g. Celeron and PII 300's) and the difference in perfomance was quite dramatic.

For example, boot times reduced from several minutes to 1 to 1.5 minutes. Shutdown times of a matter of a few seconds (e.g. as low as 7 or 8 seconds). Note that more recent machines don't tend to suffer as much in the first place as they are much more powerful.

Re-installing has the benefits of allowing you to install as little of Windows and other applications as possible and eradicating the old software and its vestiges.

Obviously, a reinstall takes time and you need to apply all the security updates, drivers and install applications, but worth it in the long run.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5