Start up strangeness!

Dohapaul 11:14 18 Dec 05

Each time I start up my Sony Viao laptop, and after the sign in page (on XP), a window opens entitled "Common File". All I do is close the window down and the desktop icons establish themselves as normal.

It seems to delay the desktop activating itself and just slows down an already slow start up procedure.

Any ideas??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:18 18 Dec 05

Start -run - type msconfig - check the startup tab and have a look what is comming on as you start XP.

Anything you aren't sure of post here for advice.

stalion 11:19 18 Dec 05

go to run type msconfig then select startup tab and see if it is listed there if so untick it

Dohapaul 05:40 19 Dec 05

Thx for your help, I tried what you advised and it has cured the problem. Should the "normal start up" be ticked, or selective? My next challenge is to flatten the laptop as the performance is mega slow and has all sorts of crap on it. I have tried the usual defrag etc etc, but still makes no difference. If anyone has any quick tips on how to clean out "stuff" which may make a diiference to performance, then my mind is open!

Great website, at last a source of information I can trust!

AndySD 06:17 19 Dec 05

Its selective startup.

Using MSCONFIG click here and use the scearch to see and untick what is not required.

Also look at which services you can disable click here=

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:40 19 Dec 05

AndySD is correct reduce th numbe of startup programs and services.

clear all the rubbish from the drive and registry
Crap Cleaner click here will do that run clener to get rid of temp files and use the isues tab to clean the registry.

Scan for spyware and malware as these also slow the machine.

If your using Norton consider replacing it with some of the free antivirus/ malware progs that use a lot less resources.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…