Start up slow

joby_51 16:16 18 Apr 05

My PC takes about 10 minutes to start up. I fear it's from loads of rubbish being left behind following application deletions etc. Can anyone recommend the safest way to clean it up? I have tried going in to Misconfig and starting up one at a time but I dont really know what I'm doing to be able to help myself. I use Windows ME.

Yoda Knight 16:27 18 Apr 05

post a list of what you see in MSCONFIG and somebody will advise you as to what you can disable.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:43 18 Apr 05

Crap Cleaner click here
run then scan for isues to clean registry save to delete anything it finds.

joby_51 14:46 19 Apr 05

I downloaded the C cleaner but its still taking ages, approx 15 minutes to start up! It keeps finding some hardware that it cant find the driver for. Is there anyway I can stop the PC picking this hardware up each time? or can anyone offer any other advice. The Pc works without this hardware that it keeps finding. It comes up as "other device" and I dont know what it is. I have been using a new Wireless router and NIC card which i installed but it's only just started finding this new hardware and the router and NIC card have been on the PC for a couple of weeks.

woodchip 14:58 19 Apr 05

As above you should go to MSCONFIG. from Start\Run\ type MSCONFIG\Startup tab and let us see what as got a tick

joby_51 15:18 19 Apr 05

Is it just the start up list in MSConfig that I should copy to this forum?

Yoda Knight 15:27 19 Apr 05

"Is it just the start up list in MSConfig that I should copy to this forum? "

Yes, for now

Halmer 15:35 19 Apr 05

You should be able to right click on any 'yellow question marks' and disbale them so that they don't look for a driver on every boot up.

joby_51 15:49 19 Apr 05

As I am not able to copy and paste the list i will type it, please confirm do you need
1) start up item
2) command
and 3) location,
all three of these?
Also, I cant diable the item from each startup for some reason.

Yoda Knight 15:55 19 Apr 05

All 3.

joby_51 16:37 19 Apr 05

I stopped all the vxd files opening and then ticked the ones i needed one at a time, this seems to have speeded things up considerably. However, its still looking for a driver for this phantom piece of hardware. Is there an easier way than me having to type out loads and loads from my Startup list for you to help me? as I can't copy and paste.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…