Start up slow

Pangie 11:03 20 Mar 05

please help,how do i make my pc start up normal when i switch it on,it is taking ages to load start up using WIN XP.Many thanx in advance.

Buchan 35 11:15 20 Mar 05

Go to Start<all Programmes< Accessories<System Tools and run Disc Cleanup. That should help a lot

jbp1982 11:41 20 Mar 05

but I was coming on here ask the same thing.

I just re-installed XP home, sp2 and all updates.

I installed all updates as before, installed all my usual MS WorksSuite 2005, NIS 2005, ccleaner, ad-aware, and a selection of games that I usually play.

The damned system takes ages to boot now, it's a clean install with less software than before, why? I have ran tests on CPU, RAM, and cleaned up the HDD and defragmented. All came back ok, still no improvement.

jbp1982 11:46 20 Mar 05

jbp1982 15:43 20 Mar 05

VoG II 15:45 20 Mar 05

You could try BootVis click here

Destructions click here

TonyV 19:26 20 Mar 05

Since I changed over to XP I have noticed that despite what Mr Microsoft says regarding the fast loading of XP versus 98SE, mine was considerably slower!! So following the VoG™ suggestion above, I downloaded and installed Bootvis. I actually did the analysis twice, and now I get to the Welcome Screen in 70 seconds and the Desktop in 84 seconds, It was totally loaded in 117 seconds. This is certainly faster than before. I probably can't get mine much faster as my Processor is only an AMD 1.1g, with 512RAM and the overall machine is something like 4.5years old. So I can't really complain about its behaviour. Thanks for the advice VoG™. Well worth the effort.

dagwoood 00:43 21 Mar 05

I've noticed this sort of thing myself after performing clean reinstalls. I've found this helps.

Go to start > run and type in cmd. At the command prompt enter this Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

This will force the IdleTasks process(this normally happens when your pc is inactive for 15 minutes)and amongst other things this will create the boot.ini file in your prefetch folder. This will help boot up times and I've found over a few days it will get quicker as XP "learns" which programs you use the most and so are placed at the start of the hard drive.

After the boot.ini file has been created, this also helps. Again at the command prompt type "defrag C: -b" (without the quotation marks)where C: is the drive with XP on. This also places the programs/utilities you use the most at the beginning of your hard drive. This command doesn't do anything if you've just ran the force idletasks command so I've ran this command the next, after my systems been rebooted a few times.

HTH, dagwoood.

dagwoood 00:47 21 Mar 05

To avoid any confusion about how the first command should be entered(in my post above it's not clear), here's the command again:

Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

jbp1982 20:14 21 Mar 05

Thanks dagwood. Seems to have had an impact. :)

Vimal 20:29 07 Apr 05

Since I cannot get Bootvis from Microsoft and do not want it in RAR format, does anybody know where to get it from?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…