Start up and shut down problems

Steve-H 07:59 22 Jul 05

I have windows XP home edition and every time I start up and shut down it takes an eternity
Also when I go on start and enter the control panel it crashes and say's "windows has encounted a problem"
Is there something I can run to fix this?

Thanks
Steve

rawprawn 08:24 22 Jul 05

Try a system file scan. Go to Start/ Run/ type
sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) hit enter, it will probably ask for your XP disc so have it handy.

Steve-H 07:10 27 Jul 05

No it's still taking ages to shut down

woom 08:19 27 Jul 05

have you done a virus scan ,could be a bug

Jackcoms 08:35 27 Jul 05

This may cure the slow shutdown:

1- Start/Run and type Regedit
2- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CURRENT CONTROL SET/CONTROL
3- Click on “Control folder”
4- Select “Wait to kill service timeout”
5- Right click and select “Modify”
6- Set to a lower value than 2000
7- A setting of 200 will be sufficient

Normal setting is 2000 but can safely be reduced to 200 for a quick shutdown. Sometimes in PCs, including my own, an extra nought is added on to make it 20000. Not sure why this happens but when it does it leads to a very long shutdown time.

xania 09:14 27 Jul 05

Your problem could also be caused by the nmber of programs you are loading and then having to unload. Run msconfig and check what you are loading. Reduce these to the minimum possible, at least for a test run, and see if that improves matters.

Mcfearty 13:08 27 Jul 05

This won't solve your problems, but will give better shutdown/restart times for anybody interested.

Just right click and make a shortcut pointing to C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 01 and click that and WHAM...the computer shuts down!

For a quick reboot.
Mak a desktop shortcut to:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 0

Apologies to the originator. Not my idea. I only copied it from a help forum.

Jackcoms I tried that and mine was set at 20000. Changed it to 500 and when I rebooted I checked it and it was back at 20000!

Jackcoms 20:51 27 Jul 05

Suggest you use variations on 200 (200 or 2000 or 20000) NOT 500 - which just confuses the issue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…