Start up puzzle?

TED1 18:41 16 Jan 04

I have recently upgraded my motherboard, CPU, video card, and operating system from Win 98SE to Win XP pro.I formatted the C: drive and did a fresh install of windows. Everything was working fine but over time I am getting a fault that when I switch the computer on the machine fires up but nothing appears on the monitor, I then hit the reset button and the computer fires into life, as normal. I have all the latest drivers for my hardware installed does anybody know what can be causing this?

jonnytub 18:45 16 Jan 04

although im not sure this sounds like a video card error, not sure how to solve it without more details (spec)

Legolas 18:46 16 Jan 04

I have the same problem intermittently and I think it may be caused by dodgy memory so it might be the same for you.

jonnytub 18:48 16 Jan 04

dodgy memory can do that, however, bad memory usually results in blue screen errors

TED1 18:55 16 Jan 04

Motherboard is an ASROCK, CPU is an Athlon 2200+.
Memory is Kingston 256MB DDR pc2700,
Video card is Creative Geforce 5200FX 64MB, the driver is the latest nvidia driver 5.3.0.3.

Legolas 20:22 16 Jan 04

jonnytub I get them as well intermittently

keith-236785 20:52 16 Jan 04

you could try a system restore to a point before the problem started.

or click start/run and enter

sfc /scannow

to check and replace any missing or corrupt system files (you will need the win xp disc in the drive)

or

uninstall and reinstall your graphic card drivers

or

chuck it in the garden and buy a new one (only joking), but thats the way i feel sometimes.

thats the software side, other things to do are to open the case, remove the memory and graphic card and replace them, also check that when you changed your motherboard that you didnt leave one of the copper stands under the M/B in the wrong place (easy thing to do).

cant offer a solid solution but hopefully these ideas may help

good luck anyway

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now