'Start-up' programs

the hick 16:45 29 Dec 10

I have been having a bit of a 'tidy-up' of our two PC's and two laptops, and was looking at the 'start-up' programs,via C-Cleaner. Is there any advice as to what is essential at start-up, and does it depend on the OS? I have done a search on this, but I found the advice somewhat confusing. Any advice appreciated, thank you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:03 29 Dec 10

All you really need on start up is your real time Antivirus, Antispyware and firewall.

Personally I have my acronis backup timer and my antispam also started

the hick 19:59 29 Dec 10

Fruit Bat /\0/\, thankyou for this. I had thought, what happens if there is nothing in the start-up menu? I presume, there is nothing in there to start the OS itself. I shall look at these again, and see if anything else can be removed.

woodchip 20:32 29 Dec 10

Laptops need more things running like for touchpad Wireless etc if you are running wireless

southhead 09:25 30 Dec 10

The hick..
You might like to give Soluto a try. It’s a free utility which gives you information about your startup items, and advice as to how essential they are. I’ve installed it on my two PCs and have found it useful and easy to understand. PC Adviser has reviewed it here click here

the hick 15:52 30 Dec 10

I installed Soluto, and it caused my PC to crash, first the mouse pointer froze, then the screen went all 'blocky' and random, and I had to hold down the power button to shut down. Three times this happened, so un-installed it. Very strange!

rawprawn 17:38 30 Dec 10

I am trying Soluto at the moment with no problems.
It has gained me 11 seconds which I am not sure I needed, but it is very handy to see what is booting, and how long it takes.
The great thing is if you uninstall, it puts everything back to what it was. (I have tried it)

eedcam 18:29 30 Dec 10

Rawprawn I think youll find thats only 3 seconds unless you have already deducted the 8 secs Soluto uses itself

rawprawn 14:51 01 Jan 11

Yes in the end I have uninstalled it, I feel it's just another program I don't really need.

Strawballs 23:12 01 Jan 11

If any of the machines go back as far as win 98 then you must leave explorer running

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…