Start-up programs.

Thomo1 18:07 05 Feb 05

Ive just read a thread and have taken this from it:

"msconfig

press OK and it will bring up a window with a number of tabs. The last one (Startup) will show you all the programs that are automatically starting up. Out of all of them, you only actually need, "System Tray" but "Task Monitor"and "Scan Registry" are also useful to keep running. Take a look at the entries and anything you don't need, deselect (un-tick)."

I dont have any of those in my startup tab!!! Should i have???

All i have in there is:

ccApp, SNDMon, Dragdiag, Spysweeper, drst, Wanadoo connection.

Is my computer doing something wrong in the sense that i dont have the items listed in the quoted post??

Thanks

ACOLYTE 18:09 05 Feb 05

Not all systems have the same things running at startup so i dont think your pc is doing anythink wrong.

Diodorus Siculus 18:11 05 Feb 05

Further to the above, it will also depend on your operating system.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 18:13 05 Feb 05

Do you have a firewall running as I could not see that you had from the files you listed from the startup tab?

Thomo1 18:13 05 Feb 05

OS system is XP Pro

i have NIS2005 running on my system.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:17 05 Feb 05

System Tray" "Task Monitor"and "Scan Registry"
You will not see these in msconfig.

Process File: ccapp or ccapp.exe
Process Name: Symantec Common Client CC App

Description:
ccapp.exe is a process belonging to Norton AntiVirus 2003. It is responsible for the auto-protect and email checking facilities, both of which will not function correctly if this service is stopped. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

sndmon.exe (Symantec Net Driver Monitor) - Details
The sndmon.exe process will periodically check your virus scanning softwares definitions against a database on the internet and automatically download and install any updates. The sndmon.exe process will ensure that your definitions are always the latest. If you stop this process your virus software may go out of date, and thus won't be able to protect your computer as effectively.

Process File: dragdiag or dragdiag.exe
Process Name: Dragdiag

Description:
dragdiag.exe is installed with Alcatel aDSL modems. A tray icon is installed with this process which allows quick access to this diagnostic and configuration utility. This program is a non-essential system process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems

Spysweeper antispyware keep in startup then won't forget to switch it on

drst = Dr Speedtouch you don't need this on start

Wannado connection don't need this unless you want internet to start automatically. just click on IE icon to connect when required

Thomo1 18:17 05 Feb 05

ccapp and sndmon are both Norton entries/

Thomo1 18:19 05 Feb 05

lol i was a bit slow there!!!!

fruitbat - why do i have ccapp that belongs to Norton AV 2003??? Ive never had Norton Av 2003!!!!

Thomo1 18:22 05 Feb 05

also i dont have an alcatel asdl modem, its a thomson speedtouch 330 usb modem.

Ballie 18:29 05 Feb 05

ccapp is the program that runs norton as Fruit Bat said I think ccapp is on norton 2003/2004/2005

ade.h 19:17 05 Feb 05

There used to be an Alcatel Speedtouch USB, I think, so it's probably substantially the same product.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…