Start problems, POST ok, not booting!!

gunmender 16:45 20 Jun 05

Please can any one help, I have a Novatech 800 AMD matrix 800, the POST passes fine then it fails to boot up. I have tried the HD in other m/c and its ok. The computer passes the start and goes into a loop of reboots without firing up the HD??? any ideas ????

Diemmess 17:06 20 Jun 05

First Check in the BIOS that ......... 1. your HD is recognised and ........ 2. The HD 0 is in the list of Boot Devices. This shouldn't have changed but stranger things do happen....... next....

Can you start in safe mode?

gunmender 17:57 20 Jun 05

Thanks, i have done an auto recognise on the BIOS and it correctly recognised the drive, the boot sequence is CD, IDE 0 then IDE 1, no fd fitted!

the non boot from the cd or hd is making me think its a mb problem????

gunmender 18:00 20 Jun 05

Thanks, i have done an auto recognise on the BIOS and it correctly recognised the drive, the boot sequence is CD, IDE 0 then IDE 1, no fd fitted!

the non boot from the cd or hd is making me think its a mb problem????

OS is xp pro sp2 been running fone for sevewral months until this happened, had just done a MS anti spy scan!

VoG II 18:00 20 Jun 05

click here possibly?

Diemmess 18:04 20 Jun 05

You know, and I know that the HD is fitted, its just that the computer doesn't agree with us!

Seems like a good time to check the data cable (and the power one for that matter)

Try disconnecting and firm re-insertion of the cable at the HD end particularly, and also the mobo end if there is no other device on the cable.

Sometimes there may be a slave HD or a CD device fitted and if the fault is at the mobo end then neither device can be found.

If you have a spare cable, you could try substituting it and see if that makes a difference.

gunmender 18:04 20 Jun 05

getting closer i hope, thanks. the problem is the ide isnt reconising any drives on it, so the cd wouldnt boot either, i have tried a fresh disk with sp2 installed and no luck, mb now looking the culprit ?

gunmender 18:09 20 Jun 05

Thanks Diemmess and VoG, the cables have been removed reseated and rechecked, the dimms the same and the grapics card checked, i have the hd as ide 0 master and the cd is ide1 master, nothing else on the ides? may be a mb renew time im thinking aas the bios has been put to factory default and also optimum with no luck

Diemmess 18:22 20 Jun 05

I see your point, but try a new cable before thinking of major surgery! There is the possibility that the IDE controller has failed, and if so I'm in unknown territory having never had this happen to me.

Diemmess 18:26 20 Jun 05

I don't think your link is as intended?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:27 20 Jun 05

remove ide cable from hdd

remove ide cable from CD

plug CD ide cable into HDD

Enter Bios change first boot device to IDE1 save and exit.

will it reboot now?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…