Start-up problems following power cuts

griffo 17:45 21 Jan 07

we. like many, suffered power cuts here last Thursday. One PC wouldn't re-boot (now we have power again), giving a Windows System 32 error and suggesting booting from the XP CD and selecting Repair.

Tried that but don't know the Administrator password. I went into Setup and changed the boot sequence (as CD Rom wasn't mentioned??). I set the sequence to:- Floppy, HDD-1, CDROM.

I used Roxio go back, plus had the XP CD in the drive and that seemed to work and I got things running again.

I then ran Systemworks One Button Check and let it fix a load of 'stuff'. When I had finished that session, I shut down, thinking all was OK - WRONG!

Now when I try to boot it says, 'Disk Boot Failure - insert system disk and press Enter'.

Can anyone kindly suggest a solution please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:13 21 Jan 07

Set first boot device to CDrom.

boot from XP cd into recovery consul and at the aa:\prompt type fixmbr then type fixboot.

for password just press enter.

griffo 18:36 21 Jan 07

Hi Fruit Bat, thanks for the response. When I get into the Recovery Console it shows:-

1. C:\WINDOWS
Which Windows installation would you like to log into
(To cancel, press ENTER)?

There's no a:\ prompt

What should I do please?

skidzy 18:39 21 Jan 07
  griffo 18:55 21 Jan 07

This is wierd, and I think this is what happened before:- I was already at the stage when it was asking which installation I wanted to repair, so I typed 1. > enter. It asked for the administrator password, so I had my 3 go's (failed of course) and it then says, to boot into windows press Enter. As it's the only option I did - and it re-booted, into Windows!!

What's going on? More to the point, I know if I switch off it won't re-boot without going through all this process again. So - how do I create a proper fix please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:01 21 Jan 07

Using Recovery Consul
click here
or
click here

If you va got as far as the C:windows prompt then you are in recovery consul.

at the prompt type fixboot and then fixmbr pressing enter each time.

griffo 19:10 21 Jan 07

I'm not actually getting a C:\ prompt.

It seems to be identifying a Windows installation ie;

1. C:\WINDOWS and no other (as, of course, there is only one installation on this PC)

and asking me to select the one to repair.

BUT when I select (type in 1) this (only) one, it asks for the administrator password and pressing 'enter' doesn't work.

woodchip 19:11 21 Jan 07

Try using System Restore to before the Power down probs

griffo 19:23 21 Jan 07

Hi Woodchip, thanks for the reply. Could you just 'walk me through' how to do that please?

woodchip 19:26 21 Jan 07

Go to Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore look for dates in BOLD to restore

griffo 19:34 21 Jan 07

Did that but when it re-boots I'm still getting the 'Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and press Enter' message. What now please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…