Start Problems

manrow 09:40 12 Jul 08

I have 3 hard drives in my computer case, 2 have XP operating systems installed and yesterday an automatic update was installed on the second hard drive which is rarely used.

On attempting to revert to using my 'c' drive a blue screen appeared with lots of instructions which I couldn't note down before it disappeared to a safe start screen which the keyboard keys did not operate; i.e. I could not select any command. Subsequent attempts at restart, by pressing F8 for example showed safe start screen but computer would not respond to keyboard inputs. There were also clicking noises coming from the computer case, and the cd/dvd drives could be heard running up (with no discs inside).

In sheer exasperation before taking the machine to the repairers, I disconnected drives 2 and 3 whereupon the computer started completely normally.

Any explanations please, and is it likely to be safe to reconnect the other hard drives (with the power off!) one at a time to trouble shoot?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:05 12 Jul 08

I disconnected drives 2 and 3 whereupon the computer started completely normally.
+
There were also clicking noises coming from the computer case.

One of your hard drive is failing (one of the disconnected two).
Plug in one at a time and see if the fault reoccurs then you will know which drive is giving trouble.

manrow 08:51 13 Jul 08

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ I reconnected the newest one with no ill effects so at least I can ensure all that data is backed up.

I haven't yet summoned up enough courage to try the other one until fully backed up.

This fault suggests that even using RAID settings to duplicate the contents of a hard drive, that all could be lost or corrupted doesn't it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced