Start up problems

firerescue999 19:56 13 May 07

Hi, my pc has started having start up problems. When I switch the pc on it will cut out. It can take several attempts for the pc to start. Once started the pc will start fine, I only have this problem when the pc is cold. Any ideas?

woodchip 20:02 13 May 07

The Power Supply may be failing, Computer Builders tend to put the minimum size PSU they can get away with to keep the price down. But if you update any Hardware you may tax the PSU to supply enough power

woodchip 20:04 13 May 07

The power Supply is the box at the back top of computer case with all wires coming from it. a 450watt from PCWORLD would most likely be enough

firerescue999 20:06 13 May 07

The pc has a skt 754 AMD Athlon 3000 cpu with 1gb of RAM. The power supply is a 400 watt. Do you think it could be the switch that is faulty?

woodchip 20:19 13 May 07

Doubt it. But it does sound like a weak PSU You may be better getting one about 550watt

woodchip 20:21 13 May 07

PS does it show anything on screen direct after pushing start button? or is it just windows that is not loading fast?

firerescue999 20:32 13 May 07

Nothing shows on screen. You press the switch and it cuts out instantly. It can take several attempts for it to fire up. Once fired up I can shut down the pc and restart and it works perfectly. I thought it was the front panel switch. I will try a new PSU and see if it works.

woodchip 20:38 13 May 07

Try removing the power plug 4 wires from the DVD drive, this will remove some of the strain off PSU then try starting comp

woodchip 20:39 13 May 07

also if you have a PCI Dial-Up modem in the Comp take it out and test comp

firerescue999 20:43 13 May 07

ok will try that. There is no dial up card. Will remove the molex from the dvd writer and try starting the pc from cold as it only happens then. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now