Start up Problems

Kernal1873 00:05 09 Nov 05

Hi guys i am looking for a little advise again.

Just recently my PC has started to stall when i start it up. It runs the memory check OK and then looks for the disk drives (I have 2) however on occasion it fails to find any of my drivers.

When it loads correctly it see the 4 i have attached (2 hds. 1dvd & 1 dvdrw) at first i suspected it was a heat issue but after the PC was powered down all last night it failed to start in the morning. It did however start 2nd time around.

Normally when i see this problem i open the case and it does seem to start ok i have checked all the cables are seated correctly(which they are) and all drives are set correctly.

I wonder if anyone has an ideas is it likely to be

1 faulty cable
2 faulty M/B
3 Fault disk (even thought it either see all 4 drives or none.

I and running XP home on a P4 265 with 3/4 gb ram.

maanse 00:20 09 Nov 05

Im not sure so dont quote me but, it could be a power supply problem.

Power supply possibly failing but not completely dead yet.

LastChip 00:20 09 Nov 05

Go to the Control Panel; Administrative Tools and look in Event Viewer; System.

You should get a clue as to what is causing the problem.

Kernal1873 00:34 09 Nov 05

the event view is showing a number of things which looks to be accross all the drives including

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk4\D.

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk4\D during a paging operation.

After the above errors apear 6/7 times i then get the following errors

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\D.

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk5\D.

Does this give any clues and how do i know what drive is what eg what is harddisk4.

LastChip 01:02 09 Nov 05

First, check all hard drive data cables are securely attached to the respective drives and motherboard.

Then, go to Start; Run and type;

command [enter]

to open a command prompt. Now at the prompt type;

chkdsk X: (where X is your drive letter) [enter]

and let chkdsk check your drives for errors. If you know the make of your hard drives, it may be worthwhile going to the manufacturers web site and looking for a utility that checks your drives integrity, as this my be a hardware issue. S.M.A.R.T. monitors your hard drives for impending failure and will give a good clue as to their present state.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…