Start Up Problems

phildux 21:11 23 Jul 05

when i start my computer up it starts up gose through windows xp start up then gose to a blue screen asking about checking. this has a count down timer, if you let the timer run out it dose a check 1 of 3 2 of 3 3 of 3 then nothing it just stops on that screen

polish 21:17 23 Jul 05

it sounds like it is checking the registery files or something similar it might be wurth starting in safe mode and running sfc /scannow to check for missing windows files

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:19 23 Jul 05

XP thinks there is a problem with your hard drive and is running scan disk (check disc).

This is obviously locking p for some reson but relly needs to complete to be sure your drive is OK.

Reboot the PC and kee tapping F8 as it starts this will get your to a menu, select safe mode and run chek disk in safe mode click here when it has completed reboot the PC and it should start OK .

phildux 21:36 23 Jul 05

restarted computer in safe mode by pressing f8. screen gose black rows & rows of black writing then nothing it stops there

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:54 23 Jul 05

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

REpair XP
click here

phildux 22:15 23 Jul 05

got to: To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER

pressed enter new message came up
"Set up could not continue" press f3

woodchip 22:18 23 Jul 05

When it stops how long have you left it? as it can take some time to do

phildux 22:25 23 Jul 05

when i pressed enter the new window opened and only gave me the option of pressing f3 to quit as setup could not continue

stalion 22:27 23 Jul 05

woodchip I think is talking about safe mode rows of writing is what you get but it can take some time to reach safe mode

woodchip 22:33 23 Jul 05

No I mean when it's scanning the drive

woodchip 22:35 23 Jul 05

PS if you have a Drive light that you can see and work's when you think it's stoped keep a close eye on the light to see if it's active. it may only flicker a wee bit and dim so watch the light. when it's scanning the drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…