start up problems

redandy 15:44 28 Oct 04

when starting up my sons pc i recieve a message telling me that due to how it was closed down last time i must start up in 5 modes (1)safe mode (2)safe mode with network etc etc but no matter what mode i choose it keeps come back to this selection page its ground hog day all over again but no happy ending

recap 15:47 28 Oct 04

I am assuming that the computer has been closed down correctly in which case you may have a virus. On boot up press F8 and enter Safe Mode and run your anti virus program from there.

redandy 15:54 28 Oct 04

thanks recap but still no joy just the message screen again

curlylad 16:53 28 Oct 04

What O/S are you using ?

Exact error message please.

Are there any other problems at all ?

Are there any other error messages ?

What security programs do you have i.e. firewall anti virus , spyware etc ?

redandy 23:18 28 Oct 04

i am running xp no error message just a screen asking me to choose a start up mode when i choose it just go back to the mode choosing screen ,no other problems am running norton firewalls

curlylad 23:34 28 Oct 04

You say you keep going back to the start so can you not start up in safe mode as was asked earlier by recap ? If you can I suggest you get an anti virus like AVG from here click here look for the link for the free edition. Also ad-aware click here , and I would also try Stinger from here click here .
Give these a run then get back to us.

JonnyTub 23:38 28 Oct 04

and you definitelely shut the computer down properly?? i.e. start, turn off computer, shut down??

redandy 15:34 29 Oct 04

when i say go back to the start i mean i cannot even get the desktop up so no chance of running any new programmes on it and tes did definetley turn computer off correctly

redandy 15:34 29 Oct 04

when i say go back to the start i mean i cannot even get the desktop up so no chance of running any new programmes on it and tes did definetley turn computer off correctly

redandy 21:55 01 Nov 04

had to re-install windows and that gave me an option of starting up on current insallation that cured it thanks for all help given

redandy 21:55 01 Nov 04

had to re-install windows and that gave me an option of starting up on current insallation that cured it thanks for all help given

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…