start up problems?

fire 13:02 16 Oct 03

i have xp2000 running xp pro all was well until i had to change heatsink and fan. all worked well till this morning when xp froze on start up after a couple of restarts ive got to desktop but graphics are poor and i have RUNDLL errror stating:error loading c:\windows\system32\nvcpl.dll. a couple of times the pc shutdown on its own 5 secs after switching on but i removed 2of the 3 sticks of ram......any help please

spikeychris 14:00 16 Oct 03

Boot into safe mode, ie: hit F8 at startup

If you have the instalation disk, bang it in the drive..

Click the Start button.

Click Run.

Type cmd

Click the OK

Type

sfc /scannow

Press <Enter>

Reboot your system.

woodchip 14:09 16 Oct 03

Your problem seem's to have been created by your own actions. So I would be inclined to backtrack on what you did above. I.E fan and heatsink

fire 14:55 16 Oct 03

when you say installation disk do you mean xp or the graphics card disc...cheers spikey

woodchip 14:57 16 Oct 03

XP disc not recovery disc

fire 15:05 16 Oct 03

ive tried that as administrator but i get the followin:windows file system could not initiate a scan of protected file system. the specific error code is0x000006ba the rpc server is unavailable.
i have also tried booting from xp cd so as to format everything but i get to screen where there are 3 prompts and i cant choose any as keyboard is no responding......p)))))ed off and stuck...

mtall 15:11 16 Oct 03

Microsoft Windows XP. Try restore. From sart>programs>accessories>systemtools and then backup.Chose a day which you think your computer was running ok. that is before the problem you're having now. Restore from this point. If your problem is not a hardware problem, I think you'll be able to get your system to its normal state.
Good luck.

btall

woodchip 15:13 16 Oct 03

Have you a USB keyboard if you have go int BIOS and make sure that Keyboard USB is enabled. Or try a PS/2 keyboard

fire 15:23 16 Oct 03

tried sys restore but on restart it hangs at xp pro logo screen i think i will bite the bullet and knock it down if i could.....could it be a duff graphics card?

woodchip 15:25 16 Oct 03

Doubt it if it worked before

fire 15:42 16 Oct 03

right if i press restart button and i start windows normally it hangs but if i go to last known configuration then i get a desktop but only at 4 bit resolution????????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now