Start up problem...Please help?

matthew-293741 08:56 20 Feb 04

I have a bit of a problem...running XP home P4.
Background history.

I was playing COD online, i exited the game, then right clicked on my internet connection to close the connection. It froze, i went into task manager and went to shutdown...it go to the saving your settings line then stopped!!...after 10 minutes i thought i had better manually restart...so i pressed the reset button. When it rebooted, it went thru its POST (one bleep as per the norm) got to the XP home bit where the green loading bar flashes across, then went blank....black screen instead of getting to the log on section (you could noticeably here the Harddrive stop whirring at this point)...so i had to press the reset button again...this time it took me to me to the open with safe mode etc...first of all i tried "start as normal"...did nto work...then i tried "restart with last known settings that worked"...did not work....then i i ran it in safe mode ...run a CHKDSK, restarted...same thing...i tried 2 system restores (which took an age to work) when it restarted...same again...anyone have any suggestions?...please!!

Lozzy 09:10 20 Feb 04

Remove the game then ro boot then insert the XP cd into the rom exit out of the wizard when it starts then click on start>>run then type SFC /SCANNOW the ok

This will replace any missing or corupted files..

Then re install the game but before running the game go to the web site of the game and download any patches..

Note:: the space between the sfc and /

matthew-293741 09:48 20 Feb 04

Unfortunately the XP disc is with the retailers...i thought this might happen....does this mean i will have to go and get myself a copy of XP?....oh dear...more money!!...as for removing the game...i assume i can do this in safe mode?

please help...my clan are gonna hate me!!

matthew-293741 09:50 20 Feb 04

is it possible to use someone else's XP cd to carry out the task lozzy suggested? or does the serial numbers have to match?

matthew-293741 10:12 20 Feb 04

Also i am at work at the moment...if i need to connect to the net when i get home is there a way?...is it safemode with networking?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…