start up problem on xp home

xp novice 21:33 30 Oct 05

After using the restore facility , my computer will not start up . the following messages appear : 1)winlogon.exe-unable to locate component. 2)services.exe-unable to locate component. 3)lsass.exe-unable to locate component.Under each of these messages , the following statement follows : this application has failed to start because SHLWAPI.DLL was not found . Re-installing the application may fix this problem. I have tried safe mode , use last working configuration that worked ,etc..None will make any difference . I haven't got a cd to reboot the system with as xp home was installed on the hard disk . Please help !!!

Djohn 21:56 30 Oct 05

Unti someone who knows more about this try the following, it will not harm your settings or program.

Re-boot and tap the Del key to enter safe mode options, select, safe mode with networking. And try to gain access to your sys restore point from there.

Right click on your "My Computer" Icon, choose hardware tab then system restore and you will be able to undo the restore you have just done. This will take it back to how it was prior to using sys restore.

If not, borrow a copy of XP disk and run a repair option from the disk. For future use, once you have a working system, make a back-up disk of your i386 folder, this will act as a full XP disk for any future problems you may have.

Powerless has done a very good guide on how to do this at his simplyguides site, click here.

xp novice 22:26 30 Oct 05

Thank you for your response , djohn , but I can't get to get to the stage where I have access to " my computer " icon , as my system will not get any further than the messages that I have posted ...

VoG II 22:30 30 Oct 05

Borrow an XP CD and follow the repair procedure click here

Djohn 22:33 30 Oct 05

Sorry xp novice, I misread your post and thought that although you could not start your computer and load as normal to windows, I did think you could access safe mode.

I will have a look round for you and may be someone else will have the answer, but failing that, it may come back to borrowing a home version of XP disk and doing a repair. You will not lose any of your personal files by doing this, but your settings and any updates will be lost.

007al 22:58 30 Oct 05

for future reference,tapping del will enter bios.tapping f8 will enter safe mode.

xp novice 23:22 30 Oct 05

thank you all so far, I am now going to rest for today as my brain needs a break & will be in touch tomorrow to let you know what i have ( or wwhat I have not) been able to do...

Djohn 23:27 30 Oct 05

My apologies 007al, you are of course correct. I had just been helping someone with a BIOS problem and the del key became embedded in my thinking.

xp novice 23:08 04 Nov 05

Sorry for the delay in replying. I will try your suggestion & borrow an xp disk if I can -Will let you know how I get on . Thanks again.

xp novice 21:40 07 Nov 05

Well ../ Still no joy : A friend of mine lent me a xp home installation disk , but the message I keep getting is the system cannot find a hard disk , check connections , etc ... Any ideas ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:58 08 Nov 05

cannot find a hard disk , check connections , etc ... Any ideas

Hard disk checks before you condemn it
click here

start at hard disk not connected in BIOS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…