Start-up Problem-Please insert system disk

qbc 19:14 02 May 05

I have a Toshiba Portege P3500 Tablet PC running windows XP tablet 2005. Everytime I start the pc in the morning it comes up with the message - Please insert system disk and push any key - When I push the power button it sounds like the hard drive does not power on. There is a short noise from the hard drive but then nothing. After repeating the process about 15 - 20 times the hard drive eventually works and boot up is successful. Can anyone please help with this. What is causing it. Thanks

Jak_1 19:22 02 May 05

How old is the pc, is it still under warrantee? It sound like a HDD problem, I would backup all your data now as it sounds like the drive is about to give up.

Jak_1 19:23 02 May 05

Meant to say also, if it is still under warrantee then take it back, don't wait for it to fail completely.

qbc 19:25 02 May 05

The pc is about 2 years old. I don't know if it is the HDD, because once it starts there are no problems with the system. Everything runs smoothly.

Jak_1 19:28 02 May 05

Could also try checking the connections then, a lose conection may also be the problem.

qbc 21:12 02 May 05

This only happens first thing in the morning. If I shutdown pc anytime during the day and restart there are no problems.

woodchip 21:21 02 May 05

Corrupt MBR.

If XP you have to Use FIX/MBR

If Win98se FDISK /MBR from DOS prompt

qbc 21:24 02 May 05

How do I use fix/mbr??

woodchip 21:29 02 May 05

You can get at it by starting with a XP disc or download Boot disc from click here
You can then do it with these six floppy discs after you download double click the file with a floppy disc in drive and have five more ready

qbc 21:32 02 May 05

The tablet pc has no floppy drive or cd drive. So what should I do?

woodchip 21:35 02 May 05

No Idea but that's what the Problem is above, can the drive be taken out and fitted in a xp computer as slave then run it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…