Start up problem with my PC - please help / advise

Stevie Rowe 14:23 30 Dec 14

Good afternoon all,

I was hoping that someone could help or advise with the following -

I have a HP Pavillion Slimline S5000 series PC and am running windows 7 and whilst I have never really used it for much (kids homework, a bit of surfing, you tube etc) it has developed a problem when I try to start it up.

It has been like it for a few months now and got progressively worse, to the extent that I cant even get it to come on anymore?

When I turn it on it will go straight to the 'Windows failed to start, a recent hardware or software.....' comes up on the screen. If I choose to 'start windows normally' it goes to a black screen with the white mouse cursor and does nothing else. When it first started doing this I could turn it on and off as couple of times and it would be ok but this has got progressively worse now and wont work.

If I choose to do a start up repair, it goes though all of the checks and then everything passes but when it tries to re boot it just goes to a black screen with the white mouse cursor.

A mate suggested that I replaced the Bios battery which I have done but it has made no difference.

System restore doesn't work either.

I don't have anything important on there as I saved it all when it first started doing it so am willing to try anything. It has got to a point now where Im sick of messing about with it and was wondering if it was worth getting it looked at or should I just bin it and get a new pc??

Any advice at all would be appreciated

I look forward to hearing from you

Thanks in advance

Steve

cankn 14:50 30 Dec 14

Hi follow this link it helped me click here

rdave13 15:13 30 Dec 14
  Stevie Rowe 15:40 30 Dec 14

Hi Guys,

Got it running the 'Microsoft Startup Repair Tool' as per the link within the first response and it seems to be doing something. Been doing it for a while now though.......oh well, Im gonna leave it and see what happens.

Thanks for your help so far all!

Stevie Rowe 16:29 30 Dec 14

It has been doing this for over an hour now and hasn't reported anything or prompted ma to do anything??? Is this normal?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:35 30 Dec 14

No it not doing what it should

power off then back on again

tap f8 as it powers up and get into advance start menu and select command prompt.

at command prompt type

chkdsk /r

press enter

let the checkdisk run til completion amd see if that does the trick.

Stevie Rowe 17:54 30 Dec 14

Hi Fruit Bat

I tried to follow what you said but after pressing the F8 key, it took me to 'Advanced Boot Options' the only option that was anything like what you said was Safe Mode With Command Promt so I tried it. It took me to a 'loading windows files page with loads of script rolling over, it then took me to what I can only describe as my login screen only bigger, complete with all of my user icons. I clicked on my icon and entered my password which seemed to work but then after saying 'welcome' it thought about it for a while and then went to a screen that said Administrator:cmd.exe and beneath that said C:/windows/system3266> I tried to enter what you said to enter but it then responded with 'Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts (Y/N)'

Any ideas??????

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:00 30 Dec 14

tpye in Y

and then shut it down and restart it should then run checkdisk.

Stevie Rowe 22:19 30 Dec 14

Fruit Bat..........youre a star!

Thankyou sooooooo much!

went through the motions and eventually came up with my Home Page!

Everything seems to be working perfectly now, however I'll let you know tomorrow after I've shut things down and powered back up again lol!

I'll let you know how I get on!

Thanks again!

Stevie Rowe 13:06 31 Dec 14

Fruit Bat....you're a genius!

Thankyou soooooo much!

Turned my pc on this morning and started up first time! seems much quicker too?????

The only very small thing (that Im not that bothered about is that whenever I try to connect to the internet through the internet explorer icon, it says that it cant connect to the internet however when I use the google chrome icon.....it connects and works absolutely fine.

If theres a simple fix out there then ill do it, otherwise as I say, its not a big deal.

Once again - Thankyou all for your help its greatly appreciated!

And Happy New Year to all!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:09 31 Dec 14

control panel - add remove programs - scroll down to IE and select Repair that may work.

Glad the rest is working OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…