Start up problem

dazza39 13:09 14 Jul 09

After switching on my PC it goes through normal routine up until it gets to welcome screen, then goes into windows and thats it, all i get is the standard background and nothing else,files,start bar won't kick in??, Im using Windows XP,I can boot into Safe Mode but not sure what im looking for to sort this.Any ideas, thanks.

PO79 13:16 14 Jul 09

Try a system restore in safe mode, to a previous date when all was working well.

terrym 13:48 14 Jul 09

My Problem is different in that my Start Up is very very slow to open, suspect Norton is scanning on Start Up, how can it be disabled? Any Ideas? Thanks

Sea Urchin 13:54 14 Jul 09

Unless you can offer help to dazza39 for his problem then start your own thread with a new problem

birdface 16:14 14 Jul 09

Look in device manager and see if there are any yellow exclamation marks beside any of the devices.It uses less drivers in safe mode so just a possibility that some of your drivers need updating.

dazza39 08:37 15 Jul 09

Now its got worse tried going into safe mode but boot didn't even get that far,it went in a loop back to start up when you turn PC on???,could it be graphics card?,I have been having screen blackouts prior to this problem where I would be playing a game and would loose signal to monitor and have to re-boot again?,I did briefly the blue screen of death flicker up when I tried Safe Mode.At a loss now.

dazza39 13:16 15 Jul 09

Also something strange, I hear a click noise before and a brief flicker of blue screen before it goes back tos tart up, tried Recovery Console,can't get into windows at all,I suspect its gotta be the graphicscard ?

dazza39 13:13 16 Jul 09

Anyone have any ideas ?.Thanks

dazza39 08:59 17 Jul 09

Hello

Any ideas.?

Thanks

Technotiger 09:39 17 Jul 09

Try re-seating the Graphics card and your RAM.

Or - clicking noise could be warning of imminent hard-drive failure.

woodchip 10:03 17 Jul 09

Clicking sounds like PC trying to read the Hard Drive. you could try this so that you could test it. click here

Also try going into BIOS and check if the drive is seen

As it sounds like Hard Drive Problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac