Start Up Problem

winksey 10:11 04 Jan 07

When I try to start my computer after it has been shut down it will not start i.e I get the busy light for a minute or so then nothing but the power light, I have managed to start it up by pressing the restart button but it took around 10 attempts and I noticed that my cd drives flashed on and off repeatedly before it kicked in. I am running XP home, can anyone help.

skidzy 10:14 04 Jan 07

Check all leads and connections,though this may be the psu failing or overheating....check all fans are clear of dust.

Worst case it could be the hdd failing :-((

winksey 10:30 04 Jan 07

Thanx skidzy, my system is quite old so you're probably spot on about the hdd but I was hoping that was not the case however it was very dusty and I have given it a good clean and am now going to attempt a shut down so if I dont let you know the outcome I am not being rude it just means I cannot get it started thanx again and Fingers crossed.

aitch2 10:35 04 Jan 07

I had a similar problem on my old computer some years ago. The problem was the actual on/ off switch. If it is one off the earlier push on/ push off type they do wear considerably. Hopefully, this is a much easier solution before delving into the other aspects of psu etc.
Aitch

mattyc_92 11:45 04 Jan 07

When does this problem 'kick in'? As the Boot-Screen comes up? on the POST screen?

Boot-screen suggests Hard-disc failing or software glitch
POST screen suggests BIOS failing, Hard-disc failing or CD drives failing

winksey 19:24 09 Jan 07

Thanx for your help but i could not get the computer started after shutting it down im presuming it was the hard drive but I have not had it checked out, oh well was due a new computer anyway, thanx again. Winksey.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…