start up problem

rubyred1 09:41 15 Oct 06

Since last week my computer stops at the first screen when starting up. It says I must press F1 to continue or del to anter BIOS set up. It says my CPU has changed and that I must set it up. Problem is I don't know what it should be set up as. I can press F1 and carry on, and windows will start ok, but I feel I should set it up properly. I have used windows system restore but I don't think that's the problem. Can anyone help please?

rubyred1 09:44 15 Oct 06

forgot to mention that my computer clock has to be reset everytime also.

johnnyrocker 09:46 15 Oct 06

first suspect is likely to be cmos battery.

johnny,

FatboySlim71 09:46 15 Oct 06

I take it that you had changed your CPU last week, is there no paper work etc suppied with your new CPU, if not it may be worth looking on the manafacturers web site and see if there is any information on there with the neccessary BIOS set up settings.

rubyred1 09:52 15 Oct 06

It isn't a new computer it's about 18months old and this problem just started last week. I haven't, as far as I know, changed anything. I will have a look at the manufaturers web site tho.

FatboySlim71 10:22 15 Oct 06

Yeah I would agree with johnnyrocker suggestion about the CMOS battery because when this goes so do all the settings and with you saying "computer clock has to be reset everytime also" this is a common occurance when the CMOS battery goes, its a bit strange though that the battery has went in only 18 months, they usual last a lot longer than this, but in your case it does definately sound like the CMOS battery that has went flat. There only a couple of quid and it makes sense to go for a decent branded one. I got a CR 2032 type (this is normally the type for the CMOS battery) from Superdrug for around £2 and its an Energiser brand, it wasnt for replacing my CMOS battery I will add.

The CMOS battery is dead easy to fit, just get inside the PC and you will see a 2p sized silver cell battery, pop it out and put the new one in and thats it. It may be better to take your old one out so as you can take it with you when you go to buy the new one, but as I said most CMOS batteries are CR2032 type.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:18 15 Oct 06

CMOS Battery
click here

rubyred1 17:46 15 Oct 06

I fished out my book supplied with my PC and after reading this I think you are both right. It shows how to change battery and Fruit bats site looks helpful also. Many thanks for help I'll try what you all suggested. :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac