start up problem

Alfresco 12:04 30 May 06

Can anyone shine a light on this. When i switch on my machine everthing boots up as normal. Then windows starts up but recently has been pausing for about 2 minutes at a very early stage with only the start icon, task bar and system tray showing. No desktop or piture just a blue screen. Nothing seems to happening during this time. I am using win 2000 pro and keep the system very tidy with antivir, Ad-Aware, zone alarm and CCleaner. Any ideas what could cause this would be great

Thanks

terryf 12:08 30 May 06

You have everything backed up of course because you may be looking at a reload of win 2000

Alfresco 12:11 30 May 06

I was thinking the same thing but hoping not to go down that road if possible

aluri 12:19 30 May 06

instead windows 2000

ACOLYTE 12:27 30 May 06

It sounds like it is loading something at startup that is slowing it down,can you look in your start up options for things you don't need/recognise and disable them.I would also run a few malware scans as you may have picked something up that has attached itself to the system startup.It could also be that your desktop theme has become corrupt,try changing the theme and see if it boots up any quicker.Also try defraging the hard drive this can sometimes make the boot quicker especially if the hard drive is heavily fragmented.It could also be that your icon cache file has got to large.

Alfresco 12:58 30 May 06

i've messed around with the desktop theme and reduced the start up icons to 6 with no effect. I've looked at my start up options but can't recognise anything it could be but there is a lot in there which i'm unsure about and am not advanced enough to mess with. How would i go about defraging the hard drive?

ACOLYTE 13:01 30 May 06

This should help click here

Alfresco 14:12 30 May 06

ok. I've just finished defraging the hard drive with no success. Is ther anything in the startup to look out for that could be the cause?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…