Start up problem

sammohung 09:52 03 Jun 05

Using XP Prof. with both service packs.Have 2.4 chip and 500Mb mem.
Problem is that on approx. every 3rd or 4th startup I get a black page with white writing which starts off saying, "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." That is the first pharagraph. I get around this by starting the computer in safe mode from lower down on the page then closing the computer down. Restarting as normal and it's OK for maybe 2 or 3 times. Then up pops this screen again. Can anyone help?

Indigo 1 11:23 03 Jun 05

Try a System Restore back to a date before it started.

Start menu/All programs/Accessories/System tools/ System Restore.

PsiFox 13:23 03 Jun 05

Did you install SP2 from a download or was it on the disk?If you installed it after windows installed you need to uninstall the sP2 then use you XP disk to repair the installation.

If it is a very early xp and you also installed SP1 after windows remove this too.then repair

sammohung 02:05 04 Jun 05

Thanks for your responses. I really don't know when it started so a system restore is not the thing to do (I think). PsiFox, how do I go about a repair if I remove both SP1 and SP2 from the computer? I installed the SP's from a disk. I note in Control Panel that it is possible to remove only the SP2. SP1 was obviously installed with XP. What exactly would I be repairing?
Any help is gratfully received.
Sammohung

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…