Start Up Problem

DomJolly 09:40 17 Apr 05

My kids Pc, Just a fairly Basic amd450mhz AT Board Running Windows ME. When they switch on the power switch it will not start first time. it reaches the first post screen but stops there. if they swith off an on again it boots perfectly. no errors showing anywhere. I have just re installed everything but still no joy.. any ideas.
thanx

DieSse 10:29 17 Apr 05

There can be many causes, but a common one is a "lazy" hard drive - taking too long to come up to speed. The BIOS setting for "quick power on test" can be disabled, to allow it more before it's addressed - and in some BIOS there's a "Hard Disk delay" setting, to also allow it more time. This can also be a sign of a disk drive starting to fail.

Lazy hard drives can sometimes be found out by using SMART monitoring - set it in the BIOS for your drive. Amongst other things it measures spin-up time. Download ActiveSmart to get a trial of a good SMART monitoring program. click here

Other causes can be RAM - try taking it out and refitting, it can clean poor contacts a little - and a "lazy" power supply, and motherboard problems.

The only way to isolate the problem is to try one thing at a time to see which cires it - or you could opt to live with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…