Start Up Problem

carper 13:55 08 Mar 05

This start up problem appears to be a bit different to those listed in the archive so I hope you can Help.
When I somtimes switch on there is a clicking which appears to come from the hard drive and a black screen appears which says operating system cannot be found. I click onto F8, sometimes as may as 10 times before I get the black screen which says Boot up windows XP normally. After this things work normally. Some times switch on is normal so the fault is intermittent (always the worst) Might the BIOS battery be failing. My computer is 2 yrs old. I run Windows XPhome SP2
Thanks in advance

On my old pc I had the exact problems and found the Harddrive to be on its way out. I would not think it is anything to do with Bios but if you think is go to the manufacturer of your pc and and get BIOS update.
Hope that helps

gudgulf 14:12 08 Mar 05

Try taking the side off the case and make sure the connecting ribbon to the hard drive is securely pushed in place at both the motherboard and hard drive end.They can work loose over time.

Once up and running it would be a very good idea to make a backup of all your important documents etc just in case the drive is failing.If you are running XP then run CHKDSK to look for errors on the drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…