Start Up Prob and worse

Peter-200561 20:05 10 May 06

Windows XP Pentium4
While my computer was on standby the electric supply was cut(by workers in the house) On startup the computer just hangs, k/board lights up briefly then nothing, just one bip. I tried the Windows repair option with the original CD and by luck it started up, everything was as before. However after 4 or 5 startups i am back to nothing , the repare option does not work. Am i lucking at a Windows fault or something more invoved

Totally-braindead 20:11 10 May 06

Its possible the power being cut has caused a hardware failure but its much more likly that its a software fault, some program corrupted or something similar.

Could you explain exactly what happens now. Does it start at all, does it hang etc. Or does it perhaps run and crash.

daxian 20:14 10 May 06

hi lochrist....
sounds like it may be a registry fault,try f8 at startup and choose last known good configuration .
hope this helps....Dave.

Peter-200561 20:16 10 May 06

when i power up, i get k/lights briefly, one bip then nothing, blank screen.
When it worked a few times normally after the cut everything was ok.

Jak_1 20:17 10 May 06

All that should have happened after a power failure would be to lose unsaved data. Was there a chance of a power surge as they cut the power? I always have my pc connected to the mais via a surge protector.

Does it boot ok in safe mode, if so it may be worth doing a discan etc. It does sound more like a software problem than a hardware problem though. May be a good idea to save all your data files and to a clean re-install. If you haven't already done so then backup all data files you want to keep.

Peter-200561 20:18 10 May 06

it hangs on F8 as well.

Totally-braindead 20:19 10 May 06

Does the hard drive lights, case fans etc fire up?

Peter-200561 20:23 10 May 06

Hard Drive lights briefly then nothing; no normal H/D noise, fan works.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:28 10 May 06

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Peter-200561 20:39 10 May 06

from my numerous attempts i recall that on stage 6 it closes without rebooting and on another try i got within a few minutes of a successful install then it all went blank and then nothing.

I will connect up machine again and try once more.
Is the general opinion thats its software rather hardware problem?

stay tuned

Ray5776 21:36 10 May 06

PSU? anyone think

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…