Start Up POST details

Dyffryn 22:27 29 Jan 03

I am giving my old computer away to a charity. I have formatted the hard drive and replaced the OS. Unfortunately on booting my name/address and 'phone number are still displayed on the POST screen on start up. Can anyone please advise me on how to remove this please?

pcgp1 23:51 29 Jan 03

switch off .......reset bios jumper.....near battery....re boot....give 5 secs....shut off!...follow...instructions...load bios defauilts.....if not....reset password jumper and do same!

jazzypop 00:03 30 Jan 03

Careful! Some BIOS's need power applied with the reset jumpers shorted - others will be fried if you do this.

Identify your motherboard first (use the Advisor utility from belarc.com if you are not sure), and download the manual, which will show you where the BIOS reset jumpers are, and the correct procedure to follow.

grove34 00:09 30 Jan 03

why would your name and address be in the bios?

DieSse 00:14 30 Jan 03

I thought this too - I've never seen a BIOS with such a facility. The problem may lie elsewhere.

Could it be some odd additon to the autoexec.bat or config.sys files? Have a look in them to see.

Are you sure you mean the POST screen - or the DOS booting up screens?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…