START NO - START YES!

Uncle Den 17:33 09 Apr 03

I've got a Compaq Deskpro EP with Windows XP.

Suddenly it began to fail to start in the morni9ngs, with the following symptons:

Activate switch.

The drive diodes go on.

the "A" diode lights up and flashes on/off.

There is a "cluck" sound.

A longish buzz.

The "A" diode stays lit and steady.

The screen shows "No Signal".

After reactivating the on/ff switch a number of times or (as I now do) leaving it on for five or ten minutes to get warmed up, as it were, we get the following results:

Nothing for short while.

longish buzz.

All keyboard diodes flash.

Comes on screen as normal.

I'm worried as to how long this will go on before it fails to start altogether, so I need to get it diagnosed asap.

I have an expert friend who at first thought it was the switch but now thinks it's the power supply.

My own naive guess (from knowing about VCRs) was that some some of electromagnetic switch (or solenoid) was failing (sticking or just dirty) and that accounted for the "cluck" as it fell back aftyer being partly activated. However, I realise I could be right off the track.

Are there any qualified experts out there who can help an AOP out?

Thanks

woodchip 17:37 09 Apr 03

sounds like PSU, from a DAOP

woodchip 17:38 09 Apr 03

Should read a DOP

Uncle Den 17:43 09 Apr 03

What's a PSU, Woodchip - or a DOP?

I should have signed mine as an OAP (old age pensioner actually - slip of the finger!)

Thanks

woodchip 17:59 09 Apr 03

Power supply unit, if it's a known make computer they are known to fit the min speck psu. and if you put more Hardware in your computer it will not supply the Watts and will overheat until poof You need about 350 Watt supply

Uncle Den 18:30 09 Apr 03

That sounds like very sound advice. When I get a new PSU I'll make sure it has sufficient power. It's only started since I installed a 120 Gig hard drive, a R/W CD and joined the Internet, so perhaps all that did it.

(We old people get confused you know..! Thirty years ago I would have worked out that PSU meant power supply unit instantly - well, probably... possibly, anyway...)

I'm still puzzled over what DOP means though? I bet I twig it as soon as I've sent this - wotsit's law, ain't it!

woodchip 19:28 09 Apr 03

Disabled OAP

Uncle Den 22:52 17 Apr 03

I've tried a new PSU but it hasn't solved the problem - identical results.

Is there any whizz kid out there who can advise me where I go from here, please?

Uncle Den 12:46 26 Apr 03

Having replaced the PSU and unplugged everything that can be unplugged and plugged them all back in again, my Compaq is still behaving badly.

However, although my hearing couldn't detect it for what it was, a friend detected some audible morese-code-like bleeps when the PC failed to start. They were:

Long - short - long - short (pause) long - short - short.

or . _ . _ _ . .

I understand this is the PC's way of telling me what's wrong with it - can anybody please decipher this code for me?

woodchip 14:24 26 Apr 03

Bad memory

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…