Start Menu Virtually Unusable

beaky1993 18:40 24 Jul 07

Yesterday, a problem sparked with my Start menu in XP. I can open the Start menu, click on items like My Documents and Control Panel, and access All Programs, but from there I can't expand any program entries. Everytime I attempt to do this, the PC crashes and displays an error message stating:

"Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close."

After sending the error report, the PC hangs for a minute or two, before restarting Explorer. I've ran virus and spyware scans with Avast Home, Spybot S&D, and Ad-Aware 2007. Avast removed a Trogan Horse, but this didn't make any difference.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm currently having to open programs by means of Desktop shortcuts and the Program Files folder.

Regards,
beaky1993

skidzy 18:45 24 Jul 07

Do you have the virus title,if so please post the back.

Run your AV in safemode,tapping f8 on startup to access safemode.

Some further programs to try click here
run these in safe mode also.

Also run Rogue Remover click here

beaky1993 21:18 24 Jul 07

The name of the virus was Win32:Ircbot-BZD [Trj].

I'll try running my AV and the other programs in Safe Mode, although the Start menu wasn't working there either..

Switcher 22:38 24 Jul 07

When I start XP Pro in Safe Mode I am offered the option whether to run in safe mode or use system restore, but this might be a feature of the Xp Pro version.

brundle 22:51 24 Jul 07

Switcher; No, that's what any XP version should show

Beaky1993; Have you tried running Chkdsk? Works from safe mode, a damaged Start Menu link file will cause the problems you describe.
Start menu/run (or just press Windows Key and R), type

CMD

press return

then type

CHKDSK c: /F

press return, you may need to reboot.

woodchip 22:59 24 Jul 07

Have you by any chance loaded IE7? AS IE and Windows Explorer are Intertwined That’s why I think it’s better to us another Browser any bar IE

Switcher 11:14 25 Jul 07

Brundle, I can assure you that, when I boot to safe mode, as the m/c enters safe mode there is a dialogue box which says "you are running in safe mode do you wish to continue, or run system restore. YES to continue in safe mode, NO to run system restore. Using XP pro with SP" and all updates. Do I have a special non standard edition ?

beaky1993 12:21 25 Jul 07

Marg7, I have already tried doing a System Restore in Safe Mode to before the trogan, but this didn't make any difference.

Brundle, I haven't yet tried running chkdsk, I'll do that after just after I've posted this reply and let you know the results.

Woodchip, I do have IE7, but I almost always use Firefox instead. Would uninstalling IE7 make any difference?

Thanks for your replies,
beaky1993

beaky1993 14:41 25 Jul 07

I've now tried running CHKDSK in Safe Mode and through the Recovery Console, but to no avail.

Brundle, if it is the Start Menu link file that's causing the problem, is there any other way to repair it?

brundle 14:57 25 Jul 07

If it was a damaged file Chkdsk should have picked something up and repaired it, so my suggestion doesn't necessarily apply. You can access the start menu folder itself without using the Start button - if Explorer still crashes you may be on the right track.

Press Windows + R for the run dialogue box (again, avoiding using Start menu), type

start menu/programs

Press return

This will open Explorer in one of the folders where your own Start menu entries are kept. The other folder that contains entries every account user can see is All Users/Start Menu - a longer command;

%allusersprofile%\start menu\programs

If you see any mangled filenames or anything out of the ordinary, delete it and try your Start Menu with the start button again.

Switcher 20:52 25 Jul 07

BRUNDLE, Sorry I misread your earlier note re Safe mode/ system restore etc. My apologies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…