Start menu misbehaving!

muddypaws 11:08 15 Feb 07

Three times in last few days start menu opens OK, but when I click on 'search' or 'run' it tells me 'Windows cannot create a shortcut here. Do you want to create one on the desktop?'
Which I do, but a restart cures it.
All other programmes on the menu open OK.
Just now when I clicked on 'Start' the menu had shrunk to about 4 x 3 inches with a large black window within it. I think only 'search' and 'run' were there, but gave me the same shortcut warning. A restart cured the problem.
Since this first occurred I have done Norton virus sweep, AVG s/w, Adaware, Spybot, Multi Virus cleaner all with nill result.
I am wary of using crap cleaner in case I tick a wrong box.
Not a major problem, or could it become one? Any ideas please.
Thanks

Taff™ 11:24 15 Feb 07

Try runnung System File Checker Start>Run and type in "sfc /scannow" (Without the quotation marks) You may need your XP Disk if one was supplied with the computer.

muddypaws 20:09 15 Feb 07

Taff,
Apologies for late reply. Couldn't run scannow-- kept asking for CD that I don't have and couldn't proceed further.
Problem hasn't recurred today ( yet !), but will leave thread open for a while in case of further suggestions. Thanks anyway.

Taff™ 07:59 16 Feb 07

Do you have a folder on your C drive called "i386"?

muddypaws 15:14 16 Feb 07

Taff,
I have about 12 found on a search.
First one is C:\WINDOWS\ Driver cache. The next two are Java related and the remainder are \System32\ReinstallBackups\0001 to 0010\DriverFiles.

Taff™ 17:03 16 Feb 07

Post back details of the computer click here and appart from that - do you have restore disks?

Taff™ 17:07 16 Feb 07

PS - don`t even consider using it just Yet!"

muddypaws 17:29 16 Feb 07

Taff:
Appreciate your assistance, but have no Win. CDs.. Have a couple of 'Ghosts' on different drives.
I used Reg. Mech 5.0 yesterday ( which I forgot I had!) . Cleared 68 errors and the problem hasn't re-curred. So I think I will leave for the moment. Again--many thanks. If it doesn't recurr in the next couple of days I will resolve.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…